Gas line struck, homes evacuated

*This story was featured in the Hastings Tribune on July 28, 2016. 

SUTTON — A natural gas line was struck on Wednesday afternoon here, causing a gas leak and prompting the evacuation of a residential area.

The gas leak occurred in the alley west of Saunders Avenue near Myrtle Street at 12:52 p.m. when workers accidentally hit the gas line while replacing a telephone pole.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Tracey Landenberger, the gas line was believed to be mismarked.

Gas leaked for 20-30 minutes, according to Landenberger, and caused residents within a two-block radius to go two hours without access to gas. Landenberger said the leak impacted 12-15 residential homes and caused those individuals to evacuate their homes.

“It had a bigger impact on the crews to come out and fix it and it took a big toll on the volunteers with the heat,” said Landenberger, who also is the Sutton police chief. “But it affects everybody, including the people who had to leave their houses. It was just good that it was summertime, because people didn’t need their heat.”

Workers repaired the damages to the line in a little over an hour, and Landenberger expects no issues going forward.

Advertisements

Author: tylerschuster078

+

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s